Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible sibo. Looking for advice...

Hello everyone,

I'll just jump right into it. I'm a 23 year old male who was diagnosed with SIBO (through a lactulose breath test) about 8 months ago, and have probably been suffering with it for many years now. My naturopath put me on rotating herbal antimicrobials for a few months. They were Oregano Oil, Allimax, and Berberine. The herbs stopped my frequent diarrhea (I was having urgent diarrhea a couple times a week), but all my other symptoms remained. Here are my current symptoms:

-Abdominal Bloating. My lower stomach is ALWAYS bloated. Literally 24 hours a day it sticks out like a hard pooch. I haven't seen it flat in probably at least 2 years. I know it's not fat either. It's clearly some sort of inflammation.
    -Occasional stomach pain.
    -Chronic prostatitis. It's relatively mild most days. It presents as tension in the pelvic region. No sign of a bacterial infection or anything.
    -Frequent shortness of breath, with little to no exertion.
    -Many trigger points in my back causing muscle pain and headaches. Have tried massage therapy and acupuncture with virtually no relief.

I'm not sure how many of these symptoms may be related. I also tried the SCD diet for about 3 weeks but saw no improvement. Any advice on what my next move should be? I realize I may be in this for the long haul and I'm looking for any support and advice I can get. Thanks.

Many of your symptoms could be explained by pressure on the vagus nerve caused by the SIBO. Avoiding resistant starch is a given for SIBO, but the SCD may be going a little overboard (just my opinion). The best advice I can probably give is to keep working with your naturopath and stay the course. Remember: it takes about as long to fix the gut as it did to break it in the first place, so don't expect miracles.

You might be able to shave some time off of your recovery if you take a little GOS each morning. From the looks of it, you have hydrogen dominant SIBO, so you might look to cycle in some pepermint oil. In severe cases, sometimes your naturopath will prescribe some rifaximin to speed things up, it's allopathic, so if they are dogmatic they might not want to. It's up to them - that's why they make the big bucks and I just write blogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
      Many of your symptoms could be explained by pressure on the vagus nerve caused by the SIBO. Avoiding resistant starch is a given for SIBO, but the SCD may be going a little overboard (just my opinion). The best advice I can probably give is to keep working with your naturopath and stay the course. Remember: it takes about as long to fix the gut as it did to break it in the first place, so don't expect miracles.

You might be able to shave some time off of your recovery if you take a little GOS each morning. From the looks of it, you have hydrogen dominant SIBO, so you might look to cycle in some pepermint oil. In severe cases, sometimes your naturopath will prescribe some rifaximin to speed things up, it's allopathic, so if they are dogmatic they might not want to. It's up to them - that's why they make the big bucks and I just write blogs.
      Yes, should have mentioned that I tested positive for Hydrogen dominant SIBO. Methane was negative. I just started Peppermint Oil a few days ago. I ordered some after reading a lot about it on these forums. Haven't noticed anything from it yet.

Comment

Working...
      X